I love chocolate chip banana bread.
I also love chocolate chip coffee cake.
(Yes, I know, there’s an obvious common denominator here)
This morning after being out of town for a few days I saw we had a few bananas that were too brown to eat and just enough eggs to make banana bread.
So I whipped up an easy batch and then thought, you know what would be good? a delicious chocolate chip coffee cake crumble for the top!
My mom made the world’s BEST chocolate chip coffee cake when I was growing up and the top was all sugary and cinnamon-y and chocolate chip-y and it was so good. This cake was like the cronut viral sensation equivalent of Farmington Hills, Michigan in the 90s. Everyone who knew any member of our family or our extended family (and a lot of people who didn’t know either) knew this cake.
Though that cake is full of refined sugar and dairy and gluten, I thought I would make a crumble in the vain of that cake to top this banana bread.
Ooh the crumble. It’s that perfect mixture of coconut sugar, cinnamon, pecans and chocolate chips.
Paired with the banana bread which is only sweetened with bananas and 1 tbsp of maple syrup, it’s the perfect breakfast treat or dessert anytime!
The banana bread uses coconut flour and there’s a bit of almond flour in the crumble.
This recipe is so easy to make (You can have it ready to pop in the oven in ten minutes!)
Hope you love it as much as I do!
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake Banana Bread (Paleo, Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)
What you need:
For the bread:
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed (or 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup cashew butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Extra Dark)
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp coconut oil at room temp
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add eggs, mashed bananas, maple syrup, almond milk, cashew butter and vanilla to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add cinnamon, baking powder, salt and coconut flour and mix again until dough is formed.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease loaf pan with coconut oil and pour batter into the pan.
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients for topping and mix with your hands until it comes together and a thick crumble forms.
- Spread over top of loaf evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until browned and as toothpick comes out clean.