Today marks the fourth day of Hanukkah! AND it’s Friday!
And while I love that Hanukkah is 8 days of delicious fried food, my pants feel a bit differently about the whole situation. They really don’t love it so much. Nope not even a little bit. Seriously, I had to do that bend and stretch and kick my legs dance to get my jeans to button.
So while 8 days in a row of fried donuts seems like a bit much… I can’t NOT have donuts with jelly on Hanukkah!
Enter: glazed Hanukkah baked donuts with vanilla glaze and a raspberry chia jam.
These bad boys are SO yummy and so easy to make! I used Simple Mills vanilla cake mix and it takes less than 5 minutes to whip together the box mix, 10 minutes to bake and about 5 more minutes to make the toppings.
The donut is soft and cakey and not too sweet and the topping is the perfect sweet meets tart with the jam drizzle without being overpowering.
Another thing I love about the jam drizzle? You get just a touch of jelly with every bite! Most jam filled donuts are a total mess and a HUGE glob of jelly squeezes out allll at once thereby ruining all other bites AND also, likely landing in my hair/on my shirt/all over my face!
If jam and donuts aren’t your thing, you can also top with sprinkles, or add chocolate chips to the batter (or both like the photo below!) You do You!
The best part? (Well aside from the obvious deliciousness!) There are less than 10 grams of sugar in the donut (Not counting toppings). I added 1 tbsp of honey to the mix to make them a touch sweeter than usual because it’s a holiday but normally the box mix only has 8g of sugar per serving!
A note: If you’re trying to keep refined sugars out of your diet, ditch the glaze all together and just top with jam or chocolate drizzle. I usually avoid refined sugars but on special occasions I will use a little bit!
Glazed Hanukkah Donuts with a Raspberry Chia Jam Drizzle (Grain, Gluten & Dairy Free)
For the donuts:
- 1 box simple mills vanilla cake mix
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- 3 eggs
For the Vanilla Glaze:
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- 1.5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the Raspberry Chia Jam:
- 1 carton rapsberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 standard donut pans and set aside. (I used one round donut and one heart shaped because that’s all I had! ha!)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs together then add in melted coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract and whisk until fully combined.
- Add in Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix until mixture is smooth and fully combined.
- Pour batter into a measuring cup with a spout or into a plastic bag and cut the tip off the end and pour batter out evenly among the wells in the donut pans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until risen and golden brown at edges. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely (you may have to run a butter knife along the edges of each donut before removing from the pan).
- While the donuts are baking, make the glaze and the jam! Whisk together powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Start with 3 tablespoons of milk, and add another if you want it more liquid. (Note: I mad mine a bit too liquidy because I did 4T of almond milk right away. So I advise to start with less and build!) Set Aside.
- To Make the jam: add raspberries, honey and chia seeds to blender and blend on high for about two minutes.
- Dip one side of each cooled donut in the glaze then place back on a wire rack set over wax paper. Spoon some of the jam into a plastic bag and cut off the tip and drizzle over the donut. Or top with sprinkles or other toppings of choice!