I love me a good Acai bowl! They are filling and often filled with good for you ingredients.
BUT a lot of the ones you can get at smoothie shops are PACKED with sugar. And while fruit is delicious, fructose has a very similar effect on your blood sugar that regular sugar does, so a bowl made with fruit and then topped with more fruit will still give you that blood sugar spike and crash!
Luckily, it’s easy to get in on the Acai bowl fun without all the sweetness.
If you’re out, just ask them to use less fruit, and more nut butter/chia or even add in some protein powder. If you’re at home, try this one!
It’s just sweet enough, super filling and takes under 5 minutes to make!
Hope you Enjoy!
Simple and Not Too Sweet Acai Bowl (Paleo + Vegan) – Serves Two
What You Need
- 1 Packet unsweetened Acai
- Handful of greens
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp/scoop frozen wild blueberries
- Heaping spoonful nut butter (I used Nutzo)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- Handful of ice
- Blend all ingredients, then add ice. Divide between two bowls and top with toppings of choice!
- I used unsweetened coconut shreds, Purely Elizabeth’s Banana Nut Grain-free granola, raspberries and a drizzle of peanut butter!