This chia parfait tastes like dessert but is a super filling and healthy breakfast or snack! It’s completely dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free, vegan and paleo friendly and the best part? It only takes 5 minutes to make!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! Since chia seeds burst on to the health food scene a few years ago, I still can’t help but sing the jingle from commercial for the Chia Pet from the 90s EVERY time I say the word chia. Is that just me? And pretty much on constant loop in my brain because I use chia seeds all the time! (The Pottery That Grows!)
Aside from growing pet plants, Chia seeds are full of fiber and they are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, they are rich in antioxidants as well as calcium and iron too!
I use them in smoothies or sprinkle them on top of acai bowls but my favorite way to make them is in a chia pudding.
They really adapt well to whatever flavors you mix with them but this might be my new favorite! I love the combination of cinnamon, chocolate and coffee. I use this combination all of the time in lattes so I figured why not try it in chia seed pudding and it does not disappoint!
This recipe is super easy to make (dump everything in a blender, blend, refrigerate, eat!) I like to make a big batch stored in the fridge for a quick and healthy breakfast or snack option for the week. It’s incredibly filling and satisfying too. It tastes amazing on it’s own but it’s versatile enough that you can add any toppings you like.
I parfait’ed this one up with some coconut yogurt, cherries, coconut shreds and shaved 90% dark chocolate! Chocolate for breakfast IS a thing! (Using parfait as a verb is probably not a thing but I just made it one)
Chocolate Cinnamon Chia Pudding Parfait! (Dairy + Refined Sugar Free)
What you need:
- 1 can light coconut milk (You can use full fat if you want, or a cup and a half nut milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 shot of espresso (or 1-2tbsp coffee. you can omit this if you don’t have coffee on hand!)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca (optional!)
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional!)
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar (I don’t think it needs more but if you want it sweeter, try adding another tbsp)
- Add all ingredients to blender, blend on medium/high for 45 seconds. Pour in container and chill in the fridge for an hour or two (or overnight) and it will thicken!
- You can eat it by itself (delicious!), plop some on top of your smoothie bowl OR layer it in a parfait.
- To make the parfait: I layered the chia seed pudding, followed by 2 tbsp coyo is coconuts unsweetened coconut milk yogurt (it’s SO thick and creamy and amazing!) a couple of cherries, some more chia pudding and topped it with a few more cherries, some unsweetened coco0nut flakes and a pinch of shaved 90% dark chocolate. But get creative and/or use whatever toppings you have on hand!
Hope you have an amazing day!