These cookies are incredibly easy to whip up and even easier to eat! Totally free of refined sugar but full of delicious chocolate chunks!
You guys. I’m experiencing a bit of a break through over here. Oprah always called it an a-ha moment, others an epiphany. But By George, I think I’ve got it (yes I just said that).
I’ve finally figured out what takes chocolate chip cookies to the next level.
No matter what batter you’re using, everyone wants a cookie with gooey melty chocolate goodness and after baking them for countless years and trying recipes of every kind from gluten-free to gluten-filled, grain-free to vegan and everything in between, the key to making your chocolate chip cookies the envy of all other chocolate chip cookies?
Using chopped up chocolate chunks.
And I’m not talking about buying pre-cut chunks either (while I do love those, they are just chips in the shape of chunks), I’m talking about taking a big bar of chocolate and a knife and chopping it up into varying sizes of chunks.
The way these melt in your cookie (and ultimately, your mouth) is next level and you can taste and see the difference.
Last week I was home sick with a cold which never happens and instead of resting and binge watching Netflix like a normal sick person, I got to baking. These cookies are super simple to make and are super soft. I made them with coconut flour and used maple sugar to give it that carmelish sweetness. I wanted to experiment with using a mixed nut butter so I tried the new Trader Joe’s Mixt butter and loved it. But you can easily sub in any nut butter of choice however!
And let us not forget alllll the chunks. I chopped up a mix of my leftover Eating Evolved bars – a mix of 72%, 85% and 100% cacao- and I loved the way these cookies turned out but you can totally use just one bar (these were all just opened in my pantry!)
Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Paleo + Refined Sugar Free)
- ¼ cup Brown Butter Ghee (room temp) – I used Tin Star Brown Butter Ghee
- ⅓ cup Nut Butter (I used the new mixed nut butter from Trader Joe’s)
- ⅔ cup Maple Sugar sugar (Can sub coconut sugar)
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ⅔ cup chopped dark chocolate (I used Eating Evolved)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl or stand mixer, beat together the ghee, nut butter and maple sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour, baking soda, and salt to the wet ingredients and mix
- Fold in the chopped dark chocolate
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to form cookies and place 2” apart on your baking sheet. Press down slightly to flatten.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Hope you enjoy!!